Thursday, February 19, 2009

Domestic Goddess, Part 1

Oh, yeah.

That's totally me: Domestic Diva.

Well for today I actually am.  You see, I am making bread.  And not just the fast kind that you add baking powder to.  I am making real-live, yeast-risen, hand-kneaded, wooden-spoon-stirred, white bread.

Jealous?

Jealous?

Because you totally should be.

Not that she has ever seen this blog, but thank you to "Aunt" Lesley who gave us this adorable bowl as a wedding gift.  It is gigantic, therefore seldom used in our dinner-for-two life, and absolutely perfect for mixing up this dough.

The following is what I can remember of this recipe:
(originally from Jill Ray)

Set aside 1/2 cup warm water, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and 1 Tablespoon of yeast (I am pretty sure one package is one Tbsp).

In a large bowl toss in:
2 and 1/2 Tablespoons salt
1/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of powdered milk
1/3 cup shortening

Pour 2 cups boiling water over that stuff and stir.  When dissolved completely, add 1 cup COLD water.

Then, add the yeast mixture.

Start adding white flour now.  At about 6 cups you will want to turn it out onto a floured surface and begin kneading in the next 2-3 cups.  Stop adding flour when it is still sticky, but not too firm.

(NOTE: I really have no idea what that means.  I used 8 and 1/2 cups total.  I even sifted it all, adding 2 cups at a time)

Let rise two times.

Form 3 separate loaves:
Divide into three sections.
Flatten each with a rolling pin.
Roll up to create a loaf.
Place each into a buttered and floured loaf pan, rolled edge down.

Bake for 10 minutes at 400F
then, for another 27 minutes at 350F
(just cover with foil when the loaf is brown enough for you)..


(NOTE: I actually freeze two of the loaves of dough.  Just take them out with enough time to thaw and bake as directed above.  They turn out great!)

Photos of the finished product for Part 2, stay tuned.........



1 comment:

Team Hayes said...

I love how you use "real-live" as an adjective to describe bread. I think I love it because it is actually true, if yeast is involved anyway. Wish I could eat some of your bread. It looks tasty.

My word verification captcha below says "criznit". I just thought I'd add that because I am random.