Monday, November 9, 2009

MONDAY TOP TEN: my hands

MONDAY TOP TEN: my hands



So, I have these lumps in my knuckles. They've been there at least as long as Freshman year
in high school when Josh Dressler (sp?) would make fun of me saying, "freshmen can't have
arthritis!". I've just always assumed that's what it was.

Fast forward to last monday, when I finally made an appointment with a general practitioner
for a couple things: arthritis, my left knee, etc...

They did a couple blood tests and xrays.

Tuesday I got the results of the xrays: knee looks good, no arthritis in my right knuckles.

And I'll be damned if I wasn't lamenting to my dear friend Adrienne about my lack of sympathy
for people the very next day. I am pretty sure I uttered these words: "remind me not to pray for
empathy, because you know God will throw down something big."

Maybe it's a little melodramatic of me (me? dramatic?), but the Dr. called that very night to tell
me that I was very positive for Lupus. What the...?!! Lupus? (well, i really thought it was spelled
lupis before googling it).

Here's what the Lupus Foundation of America has to say:
"Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease that can affect various parts of the body, especially the
skin, joints, blood, and kidneys." Their website, as well as WebMD (which I think kinda sucks)
adds that it is an autoimmune disease.

Weird.

So, in honor of my dear inflamed hands, here is the real purpose of this post: TOP TEN!!


1. I really take advantage of my hands. They do nearly everything for me: brush my teeth,
hold my baby, turn the steering wheel, and wipe my butt. They are my slaves.


2. My hands sometimes hold important information for me: like this little reminder to
write a long overdue thank you note to the dear Sarmentos for their kindnesses, and
flowers sent to the store:




3. Heck, I am even using my hands to type this top ten about my hands. I hope they
are appreciative.


4. I wear this new little reminder about faith on my wrist (which is held together by my hands, really - so it counts). Kelli had this fantastic idea to make them at MOPS. It reminds me to have faith in the God who created and loves me, faith in my capabilities as a mother, and faith in myself, period.



5. I am thankful for most days when I can use my hands to accomplish all this without
any pain or hindrances at all. If I used any man-made machine as often as I use my hands,
the warranty would have expired long ago.


6. On my right hand I wear my grandmother's wedding ring. On the inside it is engraved: "JT to M 8-31-35" Translated, it means Julius Tjerrild to Mary, and the date is their wedding date. That small and thin band was good enough to last over 65 years on her hand. Of course it is now worn on mine.





7. My left hand bears my engagement ring and wedding band. Over eight years I have been wearing the engagement ring, and in February I will have worn them both that long. It is a reminder of my commitment and longevity.


8. Also on my left hand, ring finger, I have a scar from a time my hand was smooshed. I had just arrived at the mainland dock to the Young Life camp, Malibu in July of 1999. We were the first ones there, and helped to load the ferry with the week's goods. On the way down the ramp, with dozens of those plastic milk crates loaded up on the big cart, the load shifted and my hand was caught between the crates and the bar. OUCH. I spent the rest of the day with my hand in ice & thinking that I would be without a portion of my finger the rest of my life. But, in Cheatham dramatic fashion, it wasn't really that bad. I do have a scar, though.



9. I like my fingernails. Only until they get any longer than in this photo: after that, they tend to bend in funny angles and look warped. Not bad today, though.



10. Lastly, my hands are a little window to the whole me. They have scars, disfigurement, strength, and stature. They can nurture or harm, depending on how I choose to use them. They are my hands, and I am grateful for having two of them with ten fingers in all.



Unlike the foe of Inigo Montoya - you know, that swordsman with the six fingers.

6 comments:

robin said...

josh drechsler, oh what a tease.

and what?! you have lupus?! i want to hear more about that...

and i love this post. i often find myself complaining about things ("i hate my legs, why can't i have stacey cheatham's legs?") and i have to stop myself and say "thank goodness i have legs. they are great."

so thanks for that little reminder...

Deaners said...

Sorry to hear about the lupis. Had no idea you could make a top ten on your hands. good for you.

Unknown said...

Next week, Top ten things about my right knee cap!! J/k. But my favorite thing about your hands is that they remind me of Grandma's. Which makes it only that more perfect that you wear her wedding ring. Love you!!

Amanda Evans said...

Didn't Grandma Cheatham have Lupus? What does this mean for you? Meds forever? Purple spots on your skin? Call us!

Kylie, since 1982 said...

You bear no resemblance to count Rugen, hands or otherwise. Number eleven: your hands are great for digging through your trash to find my (now sanitized) lost retainer. Terribly awesome.

Team Hayes said...

I love your hands too. They made wedding invitations, not to mention countless other creative and beautiful cards and scrap booking projects, for me and for many other people. The are essential for you to express your creativity with paper, stamps an stickers. Most people's hands aren't nearly as skilled as yours are in that area!