Saturday, September 11, 2010

Barefoot, Pregnant, in the Kitchen

Hilariously, I just noted this state of affairs this morning.
So classic.
So classy.


Who knew my life would end up like this?


Let's dissect:


BAREFOOT:
not really surprising. Given my penchant for flip-flips, my history of teaching/coaching/managing around a swimming pool, and always being in trouble as a kid for not wearing my slippers in the house (my mom's steadfast rule), it is not surprising to find me barefoot. I suppose in my dreams my barefoot life would take place on the beach. Said dream life would contain cocktails, tanning oil, and naps. Speaking of cocktails... that's how one gets in the following situation...


PREGNANT:
again, perhaps not a surprise for some. "oh you're having a boy! what a perfect family: one of each!" Puke. I was REALLY not planning on being in this predicament. But then sweet Jane gives me a hug or says something really cute like, "Yeah, I do that" (in response to some type of "good job")... She's pretty confident... Then I remember how amazing creating and mothering a whole person can be.... :) I could use this open space of my blog to complain about the size, uncomfort, or timing of this pregnancy, but you - my dear reader - are likely to be as unsympathetic as my doctor and husband. Really, these last 30 weeks have gone pretty fast and full.


KITCHEN:
my old roommates Katie & Erin will attest to my affinity for baking. It's really the only thing I know how to do: follow directions! I love the consistency of baking. I have never mastered the whole curiosity of cooking meat (how do you know it is done?). Give me pasta, popcorn, and BAKING :) Although I could probably bake a ton of different things, I am pretty boring. In fact, I am thinking of three things I know how to make. I'll bet you could leave a comment and guess which three things those are. Or at the very least, the #1 item I bake.



Good luck guessing. And if you are a member of my family, attended my store's anniversary sale, or ever ate at an event I potlucked (is that a word?) ... there will be no guessing involved.



I have a prize for the first one to guess my top 3 baking dishes.
(so leave your address in comments, too).
iTunes gift card, people.



Feeling citrusy,
Stacey

11 comments:

robin said...

aebleskivers?

Melissa said...

lemon bars

Anonymous said...

oops..I was supposed to do three..lemon bars, scones and aebleskivers..holla

Sarah said...

Haha, I just have to laugh, I had this same realization the other day. Although I am only 22 weeks. ;)

And I have been meaning to tell you, we got the DVD in the mail. Vance is in LOVE. Thank you!

Jamie Bellew said...

choc chip cookies, lemon bars and aebleskivers!

Mrs. Gray said...

NOW really.....what about BACON....that is a really IMPORTANT MEAT THAT YOU CAN MAKE!

Jeff said...

Hi Stacey,
I wanted you to know I did get the marketing DVD "Showcopters’ Airshows from Above" in the mail the other day. What a great DVD and a real tribute to your dad. I really enjoyed watching it!! Thanks so much...
~Jeff

Amanda Evans said...

Lemon bars, key lime pie, and scones. In that order.

Team Hayes said...

^^^Exactly what Amanda said. I made some boxed lemon bars the other day. ACK! Disgusting. Could you have some ready for me when I come back in three weeks? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Awww, I miss living with you! I loved not having to cook! <3 Katie

jodi serrano said...

Lemon squares was on the top of the list of course, but I beg to differ about the meat....you made some AMAZING turkey/spinach/cheese meatballs the last time we visited - so good that I pseudo copied the recipe a couple times since. You just are spoiled by your husband and his meat skills!