Friday, January 31, 2014

It's What We Do, a book review.


A ragtag bunch of ladies get together to drink.  wine.  then tequila.  

Then decide to form a book club.

SUUUUPER hardcore partiers.

Not just any old book was chosen, either.  A pretty tough one, as far as subject matter goes.  It is The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch.  You know, the guy who endured my GREATEST FEAR OF ALL TIME.  (see a past blog post about that here.)


The book was created after Pausch delivered one lecture in a series of "Last Lectures" at Carnegie Mellon University.  Many professors have, and will, give theoretical Last Lectures - ones where they are asked to ponder life and present what information would be the most important to divulge IF it were their last lecture ever.  In Pausch's case, it truly was his last, as he had been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer.


I really follow this dude's positive approach to life.  He is definitely a "Tigger" and not an "Eyeore".  He has time management all figured out.  He has a nice BALANCE between hard work and lotsa fun.  

The book is easy to read; most "chapters" are a mere couple of pages.  He throws out his opinions on how to truly live life, an example or two, and wraps it up concisely.  

So many good ideas, so many fabulous reminders to adjust focus to what matters.

My beef is that there are TOO MANY good ideas.  It is hard for me to focus.  I guess the overarching theme is to not sweat the small stuff, don't sit around on your butt, but rather DO things that matter.  

I ran across a Jane Austen quote the other day that I think adequately sums up my take-away from this book.  The thing that I am planning to make my focus:

"It isn't what we say or 
think that defines us, 
but what we do."

Not bad inspiration resulting from a bunch of rag-tag wine-os.

Have a lovely day DOING,
Stacey



No comments: