Monday, October 12, 2009

MONDAY TOP TEN: running, see also "jogging"



MONDAY TOP TEN: running, see also "jogging"

You see, here's dictionary.com's definition:

run⋅ning

[ruhn-ing] Show IPA –noun
1.the act of a person, animal, or thing that runs.
2.managing or directing: the running of a business.
3.an act or instance of racing: the 113th running of the Kentucky Derby.
4.the condition of a track or surface to be run or raced on; footing: Our track team had muddy running today.
5.the amount, quality, or type of a liquid flow.



I'm thinking I fall under #1.




So, in honor of waking up early (5:00 am-ish) on the day before my big turn-of-the-decade-birthday, here's my:

TOP TEN OF RUNNING:


1. Running requires me to wake up early in the morning, which is actually a great start to the day.

2. I feel refreshed after a run, like "whew" thank God that's over!

3. Mentally, I am able to work through a lot of negative emotions and such when I am running. Just ask Yvonne.



4. More on Yvonne: Running has created a beautiful friendship with this beautiful, thoughtful, intelligent, and super-fantastic woman.

5. I feel like I have really accomplished something when a run is completed.

6. I never in a million years thought I could run a half-marathon. Really would never even have crossed my mind. And yet, I HAVE!!!



7. I have to wrestle with myself nearly each time I set out: am I going to give in to my weaknesses, or keep on trucking? Answer: keep on truckin'!

8. Tomorrow, I turn 30. THIRTY. The big three-oh. And, if I do say so, running has kicked my butt into the best shape of my life.



9. I really hate to run. My hips hurt. My calves are always tight. My left knee is always a-click-in'. My clavicle gets sore. I always feel slow. I am actually slow. But, you know what? ....

10. I secretly like it.


7 comments:

Ryan Bassetti said...

Bravo!

p.s- I secretly like it too :)

Deaners said...

Nice running hat in picture number #3. I wonder where you got it from.

Team Hayes said...

You kind of fall under definition number 2 also. :)

I've decided to get a picture at the lake with Steve next year...very similar to yours...a month after MY half marathon. By the way, imitating someone is the highest form of flattery. :)

Sarah said...

You go! What half did you do? And now that you will be 30 (Happy Birthday tomorrow!), time to run a marathon! It really is doable! I am doing my 3rd this year in 2 weeks! *gulp* I hope that someday, I can come out there and run the Big Sur half, I would love to run it with all of my friends! *hugs* You rock!

robin said...

i agree with everything on your list. i hate it... but i love it.

i've sworn off running until after this pregnancy. after i finished the half marathon i was so happy i knew i wouldn't be running for months! hallelujah!

but... i miss it.

anyway, you look amazing. really really amazing.

happy birthday to you stacey! 30. isn't that incredible? i remember when we graduated from high school and 21 seemed like forever away. now look at us. it kind of blows my mind and i can't think about it too much or i start freaking out...

Kylie, since 1982 said...

I think it's pronounced "yogging", with a soft j...

Mrs. Gray said...

Well... I love it too! I sure am proud of your accomplishments. The morning runs are a bit lonely these days. I am doing them.