Friday, February 12, 2010

Funk. Rant. Repeat.

I am good enough, smart enough, and dog-gone-it, people like me.


Make sure you read that title appropriately. I do not mean Funk you or anything. It's not you, it's me. Really.

I've been in one. A funk. You know, one of those times when you are tired, feeling ineffective, and totally frustrated? Do you know? Lethargic, having a lack of energy, waiting for who-knows-what? Ever? You? Am I alone here?

Life is sometimes this way for me. It reminds me of that CLASSIC 90's song by the dear Paula Abdul: "One step forward, a-two steps back". Oh, Paula, you wise woman of the world.

Sometimes I just need Stuart Smalley nearby to help me utter some positive affirmations in the mirror. But, since he's busy now being a senator or something, let's do a TOP TEN LIST!!! WOOO-HOOOOO!! (that's totally forced enthusiasm, but hey - it could totally work!)

FRIDAY TOP TEN:
THINGS THAT ARE GOOD!

(note: not in any particular order, although numbered. I just like lists - obviously!)

1. Potty Training.
Jane is getting it. So well, in fact, that she takes off her pull-up in the middle of the night (is it uncomfortable, sweetie?) to wind up peeing the bed. The daytimes she is fine. Even naptime. You just have to make sure to get her to go "pee-pee potty" beforehand.

photo from our opening week!

2. My partnership with Marie in 9M.
We are working together really well. We have a pretty good balance within our responsibilities, and complete them with regularity. If only we were making millions - we would be even happier! www.shop9M.com

3. My designer jeans.
I am converted. They make me feel better about myself. Citizens of humanity: you make my butt look good, which is nearly a miracle with what you have to work with. 7 for all mankind: you slim my thighs and lengthen my legs. For that I am grateful. Paige Premium: you make all pregnant ladies love you. Can I get a "heck-yes" from any of the ladies out there?



4. Working out.
A mere three months passed before my dear workout partner Yvonne joined me in the exodus from Soledad. Marisol works out with me in the early hours, and now so does Yvonne! It has been a fantastic journey these past few years learning that I am stronger than I thought I could be, and that I can meet goals once thought too lofty. GO ME!

5. Marriage.
Being from an "opposites attract" relationship (is there another kind?), I am thankful for the energy that my spouse puts in to counteract that opposition. He is truly a good person, and a great father, and a hard-worker, and very committed.

6. French Fries.
Salty. Hot. Crispy. Soft. Oh, how you tempt me! Oh, how you fulfill my every need! French Fries: My nemesis and back stabbing best friend. I have to be away from you sometimes, but I never - never forget you.



7. Completing my role as Executor/Successor Trustee.
I am a focused person when I need to be. I learned at CSUMB that I function better under deadlines and consistency. I learned through my role as executor of my dad's "estate" that I could function with a job to do: a list to complete. I haven't been fabulous, but the role itself helped me cope through a very difficult time.

8. My kid.
She pretty much rules. Yes, there are the fits and tantrums expected from this age. However, she is very cuddly and pretty darn cute. I love it when she tries to copy exactly what blaine is doing. For example: he may lean his head on his hand at the dinner table. She immediately looks back and forth at her arm, then his arm, to make sure she is mimicking just right. Really funny. :)
9. My Storksak Bag.
Carrying this bag has won me awards, friends, and high-fives. For reals. I won the largest purse contest at MOPS. I met a new friend when a woman asked me where I got my bag (ok, so I don't even remember her name. But still). And, I arrived with not only ONE, but TWO of those costco-sized spice containers safely and inconspicuously smuggled inside this mamoth - to receive a high-five from the shocked recipient. Love it.

10. This blog.
I am happy to have a place to write out my frustrations, air my mind out (although it seems as though there is already plenty of air in there these days!), and to affirm myself that this life is good.

Thanks peeps,
Cheatham #3

4 comments:

robin said...

you pretty much rock.

and i've been in a funk, too. a nine-month funk.

(tell marisol hi!)

Patty said...

Life is pretty darn awesome and I am thankful to have you in mine!! I love you!!

Sarah said...

Yay for a Top 10 list from you! Your lists make my Top 10!

Team Hayes said...

1- Go Jane!
2- I wish I had a day job, which involved my favorite things, and favorite people! Oh wait, I do...it just doesn't pay very well.
3- Heck No! I'm too cheap. But, good for you.
4- Go Stacey!
5- I've realized lately that it feels just as good to appreciate someone as it feels to be appreciated by someone.
6- I just got back from kickboxing, and now I'm craving french fries. Thanks!
7- Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
8- They just want to be like us, it's so cute. Watch out world.
9- I get questions/compliments on my "Jimmy Choo" diaper bag, often. It makes me so happy to tell people that I got in Korea for $25. Haha.
10- Blog away!