Friday, January 24, 2014

Serendipity & Hearts



My homegirl Christina had a fabulous valentine's day crafty party idea, which inspired me to look into my stash of decor.  Last year I searched online for some ideas, and then serendipitously discovered my children destroying a pack of playing cards!  I can use the hearts!  Yay for turning "lemons" (i.e. lost & bent-up playing cards) into "lemonade" (a super-cute little garland). 

Playing cards, shipping tags, doilies, buttons & ribbon garland.



Interestingly enough, this little side buffet that I keep in my entry way has a serendipity story as well.


At one point it was a china hutch with three shelves and glass covered doors.  Then we moved.  You see, we live in an agricultural community.  Everybody has a truck, a trailer, and a few available hours to help you move if you buy some beer or bake some cookies.  On its trip in someone's trailer down Highway 101, the top half of this hutch kamikazied right off the side.  Turns out it wasn't really attached.

Whoopsie.

So I ghetto-cover it with a lovely lace tablecloth from my grandma.  "Someday" I will get a beautiful marble top cut (AND attached) for the top of it.


But, for now - and most likely for many more years, the lace does a lovely job of covering up the rough raw wood underneath?

Yes?

So I distract your eye with garland...


And distract you with even more serendipity: We bought our current house - and get this: it has a built in china hutch in the dining room!  Bam! So now I have a nice little buffet/display table in my entry, as well as a nice little china hutch/display in my dining room.



These glittery red heart boxes? Found on UBER clearance last February in a Target post-Valentine's day area.  I bought a ton of them and filled them with See's Chocolates for a March 2 baby shower :)


 

You can see I had a few extra...


I also made this garland last year, but never really finished it.  I think it can use quite a bit of embellishing.  I used doilies, Whisker Graphics paper bags, pink feathers, and "tags" I made from patterned paper and cardstock for the base.  

But it is missing a certain Je-ne-se-quai...
(sorry for butchering your language, France) 


What would you use to embellish this?  
Hearts are clearly missing...
Something sparkly...
Aaanddd?!?!?

Lemme know what you think!

Muah,
Stacey

No comments: