Monday, January 20, 2014

World domination with C.R.A.P.

Once I read a book about design.  Ok, I have read a few.  One awesome book gave a VERY memorable acronym for the design principles of Color, Repetition, Alignment and Proximity.  

C.R.A.P.

Isn't that memorable?

Use the principles of design to get people to look at what you want them to.  

And then, you can take over the world! BWAHAHA!  

But, mostly I relate design principles to scrapbooking rather than world domination.  Mostly.  And I want to show you how I use these principles on my pages.   Today, let's focus on Repetition.  Repetition.  Repetition. The following three scrapbook pages use circles repetitively.

Simple, really.  Take one thing.  Then do it again and again!


Page 1 "FRIENDS"
Color: Monochromatic, with a contrast accent
Repetition: color & shape
Alignment: equal margins, symmetry
Proximity: lined up circles, groups of contrasting red


Here I've used a circle punch with a bunch of my yellow scraps. 
Repeating the color yellow, as well as the circle shape.


You will notice that I ALSO repeated the line of circles.
A lined up group of circles up top, and also down below. 
I (hopefully) have used repetition of colors and shapes to get you to look at the photos.


Lastly, notice that I use a contrasting color (red), 
and repeat circle shapes throughout. 


Page 2: "FUN on the Fourth!"
Color: contrasting
Repetition: color & shape
Alignment: assymmetry, title sits on a line
Proximity: triangulation


More circles!  This page utilizes a white die cut paper from Jillibean Soup.  
I filled most of the holes with repeating yellow or blue scraps of paper.  


Check out the how the title pieces are placed.  If you follow from the word "FUN"
to "on the FOURTH!" and then over to "2013" it makes a triangle.  Go ahead. 
Trace it with your finger on the screen!  The imaginary triangle makes the eye follow around the page; totally framing the photograph.  Which is, of course what I want the viewer to notice most: the photo!


Then you will notice the blue and yellow embellishments scattered around.  
I have repeated color, shape, and even type of embellishment for visual interest.
Lots of "triangle" placement is repeated as well!


Page 3: "XO XO XO!"
Color: triadic, contrasting
Repetition: colors & shapes
Alignment: groupings, title sits on a line
Proximity: circles in circles!


 More and more circles!  This time I used a circle punch to cut four circles from each of 
the papers from the Crate Paper Love Notes 6x6 paper pad.  I used a couple plates to
pencil concentric circles on the cardstock to more orderly place my circles.


 Repeats: circles (duh), sequins, washi tape, arrow clips, wood shapes, and colors!
All these elements point to (literally with arrows!) the photo.




Thanks for repeating with me today!


Thank you, thank you, thank you,
Stacey

No comments: